Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday at the Office


Share with friends on: Facebook - Twitter
And so I've already become hyper-sensitive to the sounds of people coughing, sneezing and clearing their throats here at the office. As I sift through my morning to-do list, I'm offhandedly wondering whether I should be wearing a mask; not because I think this new flu strain (Swine Flu? Mexican Flu?) would kill me and damn my soul to eternal pig hell, but that it would be a major inconvenience to have any type of flu in general.

As the mainstream media (don't EVEN get me started on Twitter) chugs on with its coverage, I note the usual reporting trends that range from the responsible to the sensational. DON'T PANIC should be the letterhead atop every story covering this event. Perhaps even a smiling and confident picture of Ford Prefect to ease the concerns of hypochondriacs and the like. I've so far fought back the urge to don a mask here in the office, whether it be out of the fear of looking completely paranoid and ridiculous, or possibly even inciting a second floor panic-stricken riot, during which I would most certainly become trampled and left for dead. Those of you who have never experienced a multicultural riot involving a diverse array of geeks (programmers, statisticians, medical writers) can consider yourselves truly blessed.

I'll be sure to let you know when the first mask makes its appearance. Until then, enjoy your day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment