Monday, May 18, 2009

"Do Grown Ups Actually Tweet??!!"


Share with friends on: Facebook - Twitter
The PBS Facebook fan page posted a video and brief of Bill Moyers' "to Twitter or not to Twitter". The ensuing responses are far more interesting and downright entertaining than the content of the article itself (IMO). I offered my two cents as well, which is typical for me when I feel strongly about someone being way off-base about a topic; especially when they are openly welcoming commentary.

The post is here as long as both PBS and Facebook keep it available. You might have to scroll down a bit. Look for "Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS". My favorite, albeit self-serving (I have a blog, for heaven's sake) exchange follows:

Do grown ups seriously tweet?

Tom Wellborn
Grown ups can do grown up things with the Internet, sure. Personally, I've helped to build upon and even design a lot of the "cool junk" you're poking fun at adults for leveraging. The irony isn't lost on me whatsoever.

In itself, Twitter has more value as a sociocultural experiment / exploration considering its compelling, dynamic technical implementation (kind of an uber-IRC. I'll understand if you don't remember what that is).

Of course children who haven't yet learned to practice critical thought applied to practical and scalable application can certainly use Twitter to talk about hot dudes instead of the untapped social media applications, but I would recommend mySpace for that. :)

Incidentally, my *father's* generation invented the smiley.

OK, I know it's a little condescending but I'm just having fun too! You know, I'd just love to have a jovial one on one with Mr. Moyer's to discuss how many different productive directions he could have taken with this light-hearted topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment